Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My NAPPTURAL Journey

For those of you who don't know...I was diagnosed with Alopecia in December of 2008 after having a biopsy done on my scalp. For the slowpokes...alopecia is hair loss and comes in many different forms. I have CCCA which is also known as scarring alopecia. My condition is EXTREMELY common in African American women...I thought it was somewhat rare...but it is definitely not. Scarring alopecia is caused by years of harsh chemicals (perm) and heat (flat irons..pressing..all that "good" stuff). I've been dealing with hair loss since sophomore year of high school, but it just recently got worse in the past few years. So I decided in October that my perm for that month would be my last...I'm transitioning to natural hair..and I'm now on month 8...woohoo! People say I have a lot of growth and ask when I'm going to BC...but I'm definitely not ready for that lol.

I'm learning a lot about my hair and the proper way to care for it. I love the site nappturality.com...it saved my life. I absolutely LOVE looking at the picture albums and learning about the right products and ingredients to look for in products...I also love being able to connect with other women who are facing alopecia as well. It's a struggle, but I'm definitely making it. Anyone could consider it a small thing until they actually have to go through it. So I've learned of certain oils to rub in my hair and scalp and all these different recipes of oils and herbs to make lol. I thought I'd share some of my new knowledge with you all....DO NOT buy products that have Petroleum or Mineral Oil in them...along with sulphates..and many more harsh chemicals..all those "ates" are pretty much bad..so are parfums. STAY AWAY! Also...co-wash...Shampoos typically strip hair of essential oils so only use shampoo about once a week and co-wash (washing with only conditioner) as much as you want. It is a myth that black women can't wash their hair every day..YES YOU CAN! umm I think that's all for now..

As far as my alopecia goes...I currently get this light treatment done on my scalp along with cortizone injections into my scalp every two weeks. I won't see results for about four months. It's a slow process, but I'm trying everything to grow my hair back. I went today actually and the injections hurt more than they did the first time. I just hope to see some results.

Anyways...I think that's all for now...I can't remember what else I wanted to say..just be careful with perms and heat on your hair ladies because this condition is very common...the doctor even told me if I continued I could develop skin cancer...not cool.

So that's all...

oh and you can follow my hair journey at http://www.flickr.com/photos/emceedcope

`Emcee

No comments:

Post a Comment